Friday, February 13, 2009

Succulents








I keep meaning to put up some of these photo's that I took when we went over to see our friend Jeremy in September, so here are some. He has one of the largest collections of succulents in the UK and we went over to help him put some of them to bed in his series of polytunnels that he keeps them in for the winter. I don't really know a lot about succulents although I did grow some in a house that I lived in back in the early 2000's. The flowers are very beautiful but they are good shapes and interesting colours anyway. I had to give all my plants away after we were evicted by a landlord who wanted to sell the house, after which I have been a bit reluctant to take on a lot of houseplants. Jeremy has all sorts of interesting and rare plants and I like to visit him but he lives in the middle of nowhere so he is a bit difficult to catch up with. Hopefully I will get to go over again in the springtime as he also has some nice woodland around where he lives that I like to potter about in.

On a different subject, It has been very encouraging to see the amount of students organising sit-ins in the universities and colleges recently in support of the people of Gaza and to boycott Israeli products that are sold on the campuses. They have some interesting lists of demands, a lot of which are being met. For many years students in this country have been very disengaged politically so it is good to see them becoming aware and organised. Hardly any of this activity has been reported in the media here.

link: http://occupations.org.uk/

2 comments:

Skye said...

I noticed your friend has a lot of hens 'n' chicks (at least that's what my Grandad always called them). They actually winter over very nicely and don't need to be brought in. I have some in one of my flower beds, and am constantly giving them away as they tend to take over.

My word verification is "weduckie", goes along nicely with Hens 'n' Chicks :)

Anonymous said...

Cheers Skye

A lot of the succulents stay in the polytunnels all year, the ones that we helped bring in are the ones on the floor which we also had to check for bugs and disease and do a bit of tidying up and pulling off of dead leaves, I figure that he has his own reasons for bringing them all in, but I don't know what they are! I grew my own succulents in a very cold room and they all seemed perfectly happy with that too.

weduckie, I like it, the word verification does bring up some funny ones thats for sure.

cheers for now